Friday, January 3, 2014

Resolutions?

It's a new year.

Working at the YMCA means I have heard fairly often about resolutions over the past few weeks. Resolutions can be a good thing, I think. But it seems to be a pretty universal thought that resolutions are hard to keep. Impossible even.We all make them though - even if we don't call them resolutions. Even if we don't do it on or around January 1st. (Personally, I'm in the camp of not wanting to call them resolutions - maybe it's an easier let down when I fall short or give up?)

In 2013 my... purpose (teehee... not calling it a resolution) was to read through the Bible again, but take a year to do it. And I did it.
In 2012 my...aim was to declutter and organize. I even had this great idea of following a weekly challenge and posting about it all here. You won't find the posts. I didn't do so great at that! In my defense, it is kind of hard to write about decluttering when you don't have a lot of clutter. Some of the challenges were good and needed. And I will say this, I've kept up with paper clutter better since that challenge than ever before.
In 2011 we were still getting settled in Ohio. I really just wanted a place of our own, and we accomplished that. Other than a home, I think my only resolve was to stay fit. And 2011 was pretty good to me in that area too, until I developed some health issues near 2012 that lead to me being unable to workout. That's kind of been a downward spiral for me. I'm not very happy about it.

So. It's a new year.
Resolutions?
I suppose I do have a few...

There's the obligatory health and wellness resolution. Sure, I have it too... along with a few pairs of pants that are just hanging out in my closet, totally without use. I need to do something about that. And again, working at the YMCA, there's really no reason for me not to do something about that. So I guess I start by saying I resolve to get back in the habit of working out regularly and eat cleaner foods. And - bonus - my Bradley is starting a new position with his "day job" that will provide us with health insurance! Which means that if, while getting back into that routine, my health issues resurface, I can take care of it. It's better for all of us - me, my Bradley, our kids - if we're all active.
There's the I want to be a better wife/mother/friend resolutionWho doesn't want to be better in their relationships? For me it's a matter of being less selfish and more giving; less preoccupied with the cyber-world (facebook, cafemom, candy crush...) and more aware of the real world; less focused on tasks and more focused on people; caring less about what we do/have and more about who we are/will become. I want to be the wife that my Bradley needs and the mom my kids deserve. I want to be a good friend and an obedient servant of Jesus. I need to give more of me and want less from others. Be a good listener. Be understanding and kind. Be patient and positive. Be a light.
There's the spiritual resolution. This is really where I am resting all of the other resolutions. If Christ is first, everything else always seems to settle right into place. I'm not sure it gets any easier than that, or that a hundred words of "how to" could even add to its simplicity.
And isn't that always what we should be desiring as followers of Jesus, to put Him above all else? And when we feel like we're doing it right, we glorify God and keep on doing it some more. And when we feel like we're doing it wrong, we repent, ask for endurance, and keep on trying to do it some more.


And there is one other thing... Not to discount the above, but my real goal (resolution... whatever) in 2014 is to put scripture to heart. There are a few verses that I have memorized, but I want more. I want it committed to memory, to heart, and to spill out into my life. I want this not just in my own walk with Jesus, but for my kids and my husband so that they can also draw closer to Him.

So, I'll work out. I'll eat cleaner. I'll respect my husband, and be affectionate with my children, and helpful to friends, and generous with strangers. I'll put Jesus first.

And I'm going to memorize the book of James.

It's not as daunting as it sounds. It's actually fairly short as far as books of the Bible go. And it's one of my favorite books in scripture. My husband has offered to join me in this - accountability is always helpful - so I'm feeling really confident in attempting this. I just finished creating a year long memorization plan, along with memory cards.  Now, a blogging resolution (goodness... if you "frequent" this blog you know that I'm no regular blogger) I want to journal my prayers and progress through this. Since I'll be focusing on repeatedly reciting and writing these verses, I figure this has got to be a great place to do some of that. Right?

Technically, this started on Wednesday (and I did, too) with James 1:1-3, and I'm going to attempt to type it from memory... James, a servant of God and the Lord Jesus Christ. To the twelve tribes scattered among the nations: Greetings. Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kind, for we know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.

How did I do? =)
(I double checked it... minimal mistakes! See for yourself: James 1:1-3)

I'm really excited about this! Is anyone else interested in joining me?  I'll post the study here in a day or two (after I finish making it pretty!)






No comments:

Post a Comment