Monday, January 20, 2014

It's not always easy to be thankful...

It's not always easy to be thankful.
Actually, sometimes it seems nearly impossible. 

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. - 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice ALWAYS.
Pray CONTINUALLY.
Give thanks in ALL CIRCUMSTANCES.


I can't do that on my own. When I'm wrapped up in my circumstances and I'm overwhelmed by how I'm going handle things, I tend to rejoice little, pray less, and complain in all circumstances. The evidence of a changed heart is what I am in search of, what I am longing for. I know my flesh will trip me up at times, even when I am rejoicing and praying and giving thanks. I'm far from perfect. I'm just seeking to be perfected through my trials. I'm seeking to know the fullness of His grace and love. When I feel the power of Christ rise up in me, I know He is changing this heart.

With report after report of friends who are ill, and babies who are suffering, and a cancer that just. won't. quit.
Rejoice always.
When my heartbreaks, my faith is thin, and I'm worn out just sitting on the edge of giving in and giving up, but then there is that still small voice. A nudge that pushes at my feet, tugs at my heart and whispers close to me "This ground I have set you on is steady, solid. Take one more step. And another. And then another. We are going to make it through."
Pray continually. 

At 4:00 a.m. with a child who has been up sick for an hour, and all I feel is thankfulness for the beauty of the moonlight on the snow covered ground out the window.
Give thanks in all circumstances.

When I am surrounded by an arena of Christ followers worshiping Jesus and it feels like it's just the two of us and He is holding me close as I cry out in prayer.
For this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.


The more I rejoice, the more I pray, the more thankful I am, the more I walk in His will for me - this is exactly where I want to be. Even when circumstances are bad, He is good. May this truth be ever in my heart, hanging on my lips, never out of reach.

 

1 comment:

  1. oh the post has touched my heart today. trials and tribulations have tripped me up and i have forgotten the way. you've reminded me that i am not in this alone. i will look up and be prayerful and say 'thanks.' Blessings ;j

    ReplyDelete