Monday, January 6, 2014

Committing to memory the book of James

Recently I shared  that I have been putting together a reading plan to memorize the book of James in 2014. (I know, I said I would share those files in a day or two. It's only been three days. I'm back, I'm sharing, and, in my defense, I did have to work all weekend.)

I've made the plan in two formats. The first one is a chart that you can place in your Bible, or hang on the fridge or somewhere else you'll be able to access regularly. The only thing that I don't like as much about the chart alone is that it doesn't include the date. It also does not include the verses themselves, it just tells you what verses you read and what week number to read them. I just didn't feel like I could keep it compact and include much more than what I have. Still, I think it will be handy in my Bible (that's where I'm putting it!) You can download that here: The book of James, One Year Memorization Plan 

 

The other plan format I made was in the version of weekly cards. Each card gives the date, the verses to review from the previous week, and the verses to learn for the current week. You could leave these loose, or maybe punch holes in them and string them together or put them on a binder ring. I actually put them in a small journal and turned it into a book.

I figure this way I can use the journal for repeatedly writing the verses all while keeping the cards together in one place. You can download the cards here:
Weeks 1-10
Weeks 11-20
Weeks 21-30
Weeks 31-40
Weeks 41-50
Weeks 51-52

And, if you'd like to have the cover image for your cards, you may use this IMAGE.

(If you have any problems downloading any of these files from mediafire, please let me know and I'll make sure you get the files one way or another! Also, I did use the newest version of the NIV for these.)

I've had a few friends say they'll be joining me for this memorization project, as well as my husband and our church worship leader. Will you join us too? We're committing the word of God to mind, heart, and life - what better way to live out 2014 than by drawing closer to Him? 

My goal through this journey is to share here at least once a week, and not just the memory verses for the week, but also words of encouragement as we journey through this together and words of prayer as we seek the Spirit to help us on this journey - we won't do this on our own power, but through His power within us.

May we grow ever more dependent on Him.
May we fall deeper in love with Him.
May we learn what it truly is to consider it pure joy whenever we face trials of many kinds and prove ourselves as doers of the Word.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the 'guide.' I will be printing mine out and getting started later this week. Fantastic idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you're going to give it a try with us!

      Delete
  2. So we memorize each part in one week segments?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I have it planned for 2-3 verses a week. You could always do a little more if you'd like (but I wouldn't recommend less, at least not for finishing in a year.) I probably should have shared again that the first week of the year I've been memorizing James 1:1-3 (I shared that last week over here: http://simplifythislife.blogspot.com/2014/01/resolutions.html) These verses weren't too hard though, as the first 1 is simply an introduction. (From memory... James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the 12 tribes scattered among the nations: Greetings. Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance... should probably double check that against the card. haha!)

      We'll start the next memory verses tomorrow, the 8th, James 1:4-5.

      Delete