Saturday, September 24, 2011

Simplifying = Less Trips to Starbucks = Sadness = Cracking the Salted Caramel Mocha Recipe = HAPPY!

How's that for a title?!

ok, so (as you probably know) we moved into this apartment 4 months ago. Now, just down the street from this apartment (like literally only five minutes walking) is a Starbucks.

4 months ago I weighed 15 pounds less.

4 months ago I spent *maybe* $10 a week at Starbucks, sometimes not anything at all.

Clearly there is some need for simplifying here. One thing I need to simplify is my diet. Another thing I need to simplify here is my wallet. Recognizing these needs, I made a few adjustments. First, I went back on my unofficial weight-watchers diet this week, which includes tracking all of my calories consumed and burned. (I do this at fatsecret.com! If you're a member there, look me up!) I did really, really, REALLY good. So did the husband. :) The next thing we did was not go to Starbucks. Like, not a single time this week. Not at all. Not even when, as I was driving past it, I could hear the espresso beans calling my name in sweet harmony.

Being a true fan of Starbucks, and really just all things espresso, we have our own stash of ground (decaf) espresso from the big old evil coffee chain (HELLO ~ you get a free tall drink with every coffee bean purchase!) Naturally, we're going through withdraw. We've had homemade frap's this week, and then tonight I really wanted a Salted Caramel Mocha. I have cracked the recipe. AND, if I dare say it, I think I may have made the recipe better. *GASP*












Homemade Salted Caramel Mocha
This recipe serves 2, but can be easily modified to serve 1

What You'll Need...
*2-4 Shots of brewed espresso (I use decaf because it would be bad if I drank real espresso in the quantities that I do!)
*4 tbs of Caramel Coffee Syrup (I use Torani, Sugar Free - available at Kroger in the coffee aisle)
*2 cups fat free skim milk
*2 packages of hot chocolate mix, or two servings of homemade hot chocolate
*Sea Salt

What You'll Do...
*While brewing espresso, heat Milk in a saucepan over medium-high heat, wisking constantly.
*Wisk the cocoa mix into the milk, while continuing to heat. For extra salty flavor, add a small dash of table salt to the cocoa/milk mix. Once thoroughly combined, remove from heat.
*Pour 2 tbs. of the caramel coffee syrup in the bottom of each coffee/latte mug. Add espresso (I use two shots, you could use one.) Evenly split cocoa/milk mix (about 1 cup) to mug and stir.
*Top with a dash of sea salt, and voila!

If your espresso machine has a frothing device, you could use that and add the cocoa mix to the espresso.

You could always add whipped cream, if you'd like, and a swirl of thick caramel sauce. I did it this way though, keeping it low cal/low fat. You can also use reduced fat or fat free hot cocoa mix.

If you give the recipe a shot, I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think.

5 comments:

  1. sounds good, and I'm not a coffee drinker. Good job cracking the code. My sis might be able to help you crack other codes to Starbucks drinks. She was a manager there for a while. =) - take care, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I were a fancy coffee drinker I would go for it. So far the only one I'm in love with is the pumpkin spice....:)

    Thankfully the nearest starbucks is 45min away....

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds pretty yummy, it almost makes me wish I drank coffee. Now, if you come up with a yummy chai recipe, that would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to improvise a bit because I couldn't find the coffee syrup (used SF ice cream topping instead!) and don't have an espresso machine but YUMMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete