Friday, June 17, 2011

Storage Closet Woes

As a blogosphere newbie, I don't really have a blog pattern or regular posting routine. I don't know that I ever will - maybe, maybe not. It's not a bad thing to have or do, but I don't know that it's "me". There is a blog that I've followed for a few years though and the writer does this, and it works for her, really well. This blog is called The Frugal Girl, written by another homeschooling mom of four named Kristen (who I had the privilege to "get to know" in a parenting forum before she was a famed blogger!) Kristen's blog is full of frugal advice, recipes, gorgeous photographs and so much more! It's a great blog to follow, so if you've never heard of it before, I encourage you to check it out!

Every Friday The Frugal Girl shares a post called Food Waste Friday, she shares her food waste for the week, and she invites her readers to do the same with their blogs. Last week I decided this would be a good idea for me. You see, I have the tendency to be a "surface" cleaner. On the surface, things will look nice, neat, tidy - but under things, behind things, or inside things... well, honestly, those can get a little scary from time to time. In my attempt to simplify, I think cleaning out my fridge each week could help me greatly - and maybe inspire me to clean out other things too, like desk drawers, closets (*ahem*), and the underside of my sofa. And, to be quite honest, I loathe cleaning out the refrigerator! L-O-A-T-H-E it! It can be nasty (I know, it shouldn't go that long) and... oh this pains me to share... I've actually thrown away dishes before, just because I'd rather loose them than clean them out. Take for example the... 9x13 pyrex full of sauerkraut (eewwww and OUCH!!!) In my defense this was years ago, but, I did throw it away.

There you have it.

I'm a waster.

I resolve now to be a waster no longer.

Simplifying is SO big, yet SO easy. It means living with less, living on less. Consuming less, saving more. We'll talk more about the way I've been simplifying my budget in the time to come, but a good example that I can share comes from my grocery spending this week. I spent just $60 on groceries, for a week, for my family of six. I often do this just by being an Aldi shopper, but I had some pin-less credit cards from rebates that I wanted to use on groceries this week, and Aldi doesn't take credit cards (just debit cards with a pin number.) My total amount on the cards equaled $80, I couponed saving around $50, and I spent only $60 - which means I still have $20 for next week. Pretty awesome if you ask me!

And it's probably the reason my food waste for this week is so minimal. It's hard to have excessive food waste if you only have what is necessary.

So, without further ado, I present to you my food waste for the week (brace yourselves, or, if you are among the squeamish, turn away.)


Ellie's tuna-noodle... from last week. Yikes.

I'm not even sure why we saved it? It's not like there is much to it. Did she ask us to? Probably not. Yuck.

And that's all. The produce I still have is in great shape, awaiting its turn on my plate as dinner. No storage containers full of food waiting to be used. All in all, I'd say my first Food Waste Friday was pretty successful!


Storage closet woes...
Well, the good news is, my blog post yesterday inspired me to work on the boxes in my storage closet. I started before the husband got home from work, and sucked the poor guy into helping me after he ate dinner and got settled (totally unintentional - bless his heart, he just jumped right in!) And we emptied a LOT of boxes, threw a LOT away, and put aside more items to give away/garage sale. However, there is more to go AND at this point I'm feeling pretty defeated. I mean, we clearly accomplished a lot BUT if I had to gather the rest of our things from storage today, I would still have no where to put any of it. *sigh* I'll update with pics soon. 

If you didn't catch my post yesterday, hop on over to it and HELP ME!!! Should it stay or should it go? Do I keep the coffee mugs or not?

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great way to jump in to Food Waste Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! I don't even bother to count my little one's food waste as "waste" otherwise my posts would probably be a LOT more embarrassing every Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete